Glendale Bus Accident Lawyers
Have you or a loved one been involved in a bus accident? Whether you were involved as a passenger or driver, bus accidents are often very serious, due to the size and weight of the vehicle, and the lack of passenger seatbelts. The bus may be a privately-owned vehicle, such as a party bus or tour bus, or it could be owned by the city, county, or state, making the legal process more complicated to resolve.
The attorneys at Aghabegian & Associates, P.C. have over 40 years of combined experience protecting victims of bus accidents, allowing you to focus on putting your life back together while we take care of pursuing the maximum compensation for damages.
Under California Vehicle Code Section 233, a bus is defined as:
- "A ‘bus’ is any vehicle, including a trailer bus, designed, used, or maintained for carrying more than 15 persons, including the driver."
- "A vehicle designed, used, or maintained for carrying more than 10 persons, including the driver, which is used to transport persons for compensation or profit, or is used by any nonprofit organization or group, is also a bus."
Bus accidents are different from "regular" auto accidents for three primary reasons:
- The extent of damage involved: Bus accidents have a high rate of fatality and serious bodily injury, and the severity of the damaged caused by such an accident is often much greater than that of a collision between passenger vehicles.
- Bus operators are often corporations or the government: Corporations that provide transportation for parties, events, travel, and tourism, as well as government agencies, such as Los Angeles Metro, make up a large percentage of bus operators. Recovering compensation from governments and corporations can be challenging, and often requires the skill of a personal injury lawyer.
- Liability: The liable parties in a bus accident can include the bus driver, manufacturer, maintenance crew, maintenance supervisor, the driver of another vehicle involved in the crash, or the local government organization responsible for road maintenance.
If you are involved in an accident with a private, commercial, or city bus, contact an experienced LA County auto accident attorney right away.
Several types of bus accidents can occur:
- Greyhound bus collision: Greyhound buses drive very long distances, and driver fatigue is a common cause of collisions. Despite being up against a large corporation, victims in Greyhound bus crashes are more likely to recover fair compensation when the case is managed by an experienced personal injury lawyer.
- Charter bus collision: Collisions with charter buses pose a specific set of challenges. When it can be proven that the bus driver operated the bus negligently or recklessly, compensation can be pursued through an insurance claim or lawsuit.
- Tour bus collision: Los Angeles County has a high volume of tour buses, and these drivers spend their days driving the same routes. Driver fatigue and careless driving behavior are common causes of tour bus accidents. Liability often rests with the bus driver, and compensation for damages can be pursued through a lawsuit or insurance claim.
- School bus collision: School bus accidents can result in injury to children, other drivers, pedestrians, or passengers. Filing a claim will require special handling, as school buses may be owned by the municipality or a private company that leases services.
- City bus collision: Accidents that involve city buses can be catastrophic, as they drive on some of the busiest and most densely populated streets. Because they fall under the protection of the local government, recovering compensation in the case of a city bus accident can be a challenging process requiring experienced legal counsel to manage all the required filings, gather evidence, and present the case on your behalf.
Victims in bus accidents may be entitled to compensation for:
- Current and future medical expenses;
- Pain and suffering;
- Lost wages;
- Lost earning capacity;
- Loss of consortium (loss of companionship, guidance, and presence of a loved one);
- Vehicular damage;
- Wrongful death; and
- Funeral and burial costs.
At Aghabegian & Associates, P.C., we perform a thorough analysis of each bus accident case and seek the maximum compensation possible – exploring every current and future loss. We understand that financial compensation cannot erase the trauma that you or your family have experienced, but it can lighten the burden and help to reduce your stress and anxiety.
Our cases are taken on a contingency fee basis – we don’t charge any legal fees unless we win your case. We serve clients throughout Los Angeles County in English, Spanish, Farsi, and French. Contact us today at (818) 507-4311 for a free consultation.