Glendale Slip & Fall Accident Lawyers
One of the most common types of premises liability claims involve slips, trips, and falls. These accidents, known as “slip and falls,” can cause severe, life-changing injuries. Slip and fall cases are not always easy to win, because a victim must prove that a property owner (or another liable party) had a duty to provide a safe environment and that their failure to uphold that duty of care led to an accident that caused the injury.
At Aghabegian & Associates, PC, our Glendale personal injury attorneys have over 40 years of combined experience helping victims of serious injuries, including those injured in slip and fall accidents. We understand that many people are hesitant to pursue these types of claims; however, if your accident was caused by someone else’s negligence, you have the right to seek compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and other damages.
Call our office at (818) 507-4311 for a free consultation. We serve clients in Glendale, Los Angeles, and throughout the San Fernando Valley.
Slips, trips, and falls may seem like relatively minor accidents, but these incidents can lead to severe, even catastrophic injuries. Victims may suffer temporary or permanent disability, and most will require some amount of medical treatment after the accident.
Some of the most common injuries resulting from slip and fall accidents include:
- Cuts and lacerations
- Broken bones
- Neck and back injuries
- Shoulder and head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal organ damage
In many cases, slip and fall accidents are the result of a property owner’s negligence. For example, if an item falls from a shelf in a retail store and the spill is not cleaned up or clearly marked, a customer may slip and be seriously injured. In other instances, torn carpeting, uneven flooring, unsafe stairs, and other structural issues can lead to trips and falls.
Regardless of your particular situation, if you believe that your accident and injuries were the result of a property owner or another responsible party’s negligence, Aghabegian & Associates, PC can help you seek fair compensation.
There are several common places that slip and fall accidents occur due to improper maintenance, a failure to clean, or other condition that made a walking surface unsafe. If it is established that the slip and fall was the result of negligence on the part of the owner or manager of the property, a personal injury case can be filed. Common areas where slip and fall accidents occur include:
- Stairs: If stairs are not properly maintained with visible treads marking the stairs, proper railings, and other legal requirements, you are at risk of falling. If trash, boxes, or other items are left in a stairway, or the floor is slick with oil, water, or the stairway has inadequate lighting, you are especially at risk of falling and suffering a severe injury.
- Ladders: Ladders without adequate warning signs, tread, and enough structural integrity commonly collapse or tilt, causing falls and severe injuries.
- Curbs: Because curbs are themselves a change in elevation, they must be correctly built and visible to not constitute a tripping hazard. Broken, improperly maintained, or hidden curbs commonly cause falls and injuries.
- Lawns: Lawns are common locations for slip and falls, as dangerous objects are often hidden in the grass, such as sprinklers, as well as holes and other trip hazards.
- Sidewalks: Sidewalks require routine maintenance to stay safe. Tree roots can cause sidewalks to shift with one section becoming higher than another, resulting in a tripping hazard.
- Driveways & parking lots: Driveways and parking lots are commonly made of asphalt or concrete and are prone to potholes and other hazards. If they aren’t maintained, it is easy for someone to trip and fall, landing on the hard surface and suffering a serious injury.
- Escalators: Escalators must have very clear signage and safety features at all times, and if any of these are missing, people are likely to trip, fall, or otherwise be injured.
- Construction Sites: Construction sites offer countless combinations of ways that you slip, trip, or suffer a life-altering injury. OSHA (the Occupational Safety and Health Administration) has countless safety requirements on a job site to prevent accidents, and if these are not followed, injuries are likely to occur.
The common denominator of slip and fall cases is that the owners of the properties have a legal requirement to provide a safe environment, that they failed in fulfilling this requirement, and that their failure resulted in your injury.
In many states, the legal obligations of property owners vary depending on what status a person has on their property, typically categorized as:
However, California no longer uses those classifications and instead evaluates all relevant factors of the situation to determine whether the owner exercised reasonable care to keep the property safe. If, for example, an owner knew that kids often trespassed in his backyard and then proceeded to leave safety hazards around that resulted in the injury of those children, he may be considered liable.
California law requires the owner of a store, facility, or other location to take reasonable precautions to prevent accidents and to alert you where there is any risk or hazard. When an injury occurs on such premises, your case will be based on the fact that the owner failed in his duty toward you in providing a safe environment. Proving this requires three basic elements:
- That the owner of the property had a duty to protect you from harm
- That the owner breached that duty
- The breach of duty of care resulted in your injury
For example, the owner of a store is responsible for providing safe walking surfaces. If one of his employees leaves items on the floor in the middle of the path and you subsequently trip over them and sustain an injury, the owner or manager may be held liable.
Determining and proving liability in a slip and fall case requires skill, knowledge, and dedication to achieving positive results. Our Glendale personal injury attorneys have over twenty years of experience and success representing personal injury victims in premises liability claims.
Since 1998, our Glendale slip and fall accident lawyers have been fighting for the rights of personal injury victims throughout Los Angeles County. Our legal team conducts thorough, in-depth investigations into each case we accept, often working with experts and specialists to determine how the incident occurred and who is liable for the resulting damages. Throughout our decades in practice, we have successfully secured $125 million for our clients. We are dedicated to providing our clients with trustworthy, compassionate, and effective legal representation and we will aggressively pursue the maximum compensation that you deserve.
Contact us today at (818) 507-4311 to schedule a free consultation.
Recent Slip and Fall Case Results
- $810,000 Settlement - Slip and Fall
- $275,000 Settlement - Slip and Fall
Fill out the form below to request your free consultation to discuss your options.
No Upfront Fees
Contact us today for a free consultation. We offer our services on a contingency fee basis-if we don’t recover compensation for you, you don’t pay.
Call (818) 507-4311 to learn more.